Monday, July 11, 2011

Turtle Lake Bass on the Fly

On 6/5/2011 my friends Luis, Keirsten, and I dropped my canoe into Turtle Lake to get a much needed break from studying for finals. It was about 85 degrees Fahrenheit, dry, and without a cloud in the sky, it’s what you would consider to be a perfect summer day. After explaining to some beachgoers that we were fly fishing for bass and NOT trout, we set out for the flats on the northwest shoreline. By the time we reached our destination we were all pretty hungry and decided to eat a little snack before going for a swim to cool off.
After taking the dip we headed south to find some better weeds as the ones on the northern shore gave us no luck. We had a little excitement when something tapped Luis’s 6 wt. rod in the mid afternoon sun, after a minute of reeling it in we found it to be a mid sized jumbo perch! Having expected it to be a bluegill or a small bass we felt almost betrayed by nature that she had given us just a flimsy perch.
 We set sail (or paddle) to the other side of the lake where I started to use my 8 wt. to chuck a large epoxy head bunny fly under docks to see if I could entice a bass possibly cooling himself off in the shade. We tried this for a time but soon Luis’s mom called and he learned that we needed to go home within half an hour. So we started south so we could get there before his mom, to avoid making that crazy Italian woman any angrier if it were possible.
As we paddled we passed a dock that in particular struck me as very appealing, I decided to grab my rod and make a cast under to see if anyone was home. I stripped the fly slowly away from the dock. The water suddenly exploded in our faces and the reel screamed! A few minutes later we were rewarded with a 3 lb bass that had an attitude. After safely releasing it (a job made easier by the barbless hook) we raced back to the launch as fast as we could paddle. Lucky for us we pulled the canoe on shore just as Luis’s mother parked the jeep. Good end to a good day, unfortunately it was time to go back and study for my upcoming Spanish final.
Harrison T.