Thursday, December 7, 2017

JUST EAT ME



Just Eat Me  (Tied and picture by Scott Nordby)
Hook = Size 8 Wet Fly Hook (Mustad 3399)  ( 1X long if using a bead)
Weight= .025 Lead wire approx 12 wraps (on center)
Thread = Black  6/0
Tail = Yellow Marabou (add 4 – 6 strands of Flashabou)
Body = Black Medium Chenille
Hackle = Grizzly hackle (wet fly grade from hen neck or saddle)
Designed as a fly for panfish, there is no reason this would not entice a nice trout or two. Try some different colors also (trout Black tail).


I have been having some fun lately tying on a vintage vise that is identical to the vise I started on back in 1973. Herter’s sold this vise as a Model 18T for a whopping $.97, less than a buck. Many different companies sold this vise and put it in many different kits. Sadly I do not have my original vise but I was lucky enough to find one in the same kit I started with. That led me to my new “Addiction” of trying to find kits that use this same vise. So far I have a collection of 14 different kits with this same vise and one kit dates back to 1956 and some maybe older. I have collected some other vintage vises that I am eager to tie with also. 
The Vise is one of our most important tools with its main purpose of holding the hook. This was a very simple vise that barely held the hook. It did not turn, rotate, swing, or anything fancy. It barely even clamped to the table. A lot of my techniques came from using this vise. Because it didn’t hold the hook tight enough I had to support the fly and hook with my hand. My left hand rarely left the hook other to collect more material to add. This “Just Eat Me” fly is a special fly because it dates back to my early years of tying and I think is one of my first original fly creations. Like most patterns it has gotten a few tweaks thru the years. It now has a bead for weight and some flash in the tail. But don’t discount it with just lead wire for weight as a slow sinking fly for spring panfish. 







TYING STEPS (coordinate to above pictures)

Wind on 12-14 wraps of .025 lead or lead free wire on to the hook. Start one eye length back from the eye.

With 6/0 black thread, start your jam not in front of the lead wire (The lead may move back slightly but that is ok). Wrap over the lead several times to secure it in and then wind the thread to the bend. wind the thread to the back of the lead wire as this will be the tie in spot for the Marabou

Tie in Yellow Marabou for the tail (I use one Blood Marabou feather). The tail sould be 1-1/2 the length of the shank. At this point you can tie in 4-6 strands of Flashabou in with the tail to add just a little flash. Do not tie in to much to over flash the tail. You want just a hint of flash. trim the flashabou just short of the tail.

Tie in a piece of Medium Black Chenille for the body. As you tie it in behind the leadwire, this area sould be getting filled in with material and thread to make it even in diameter with the lead. You can add a few more wraps of thread to make it more even if you want. then bring the thread forward to just in front of the lead wire.

Wind the Chenille forward in touching wraps to just in front of the lead wire and tie it off. Trim of excess chenille. Make sure not to crowd the head.

Tie in a Grizzly or Black soft hackle. Prepare the hackle by removing the fuzz and unwanted fibers from the base of the quill. You can trim of strip off a small section to tie in. You want to tie it in with the shinny side forward.

Make 3 or 4 wraps of the hackle up against the chenille. I you tie in the feather with the shinny side forward the feather in have a concaved appearance to the back. This is wet fly style.

Tie of the hackle just behind the eye. Trim off excess hackle. Finish by tying a small tapered head. This will also help force the hackle backward a little. Half Hitch or Whip Finish. Trim thread and secure with head cement.

Here are a couple options.
 - for early in the year I prefer this version (the above tied version) with just the leadwire. this will let the fly sink slowly enough to allow it to be fished in the shallows for early season panfish. I fish it with a small slow jerk retrieve.
 - For later in the year I will add a 5/32 or 3/16 brass bead for more weight to help get it down faster. ** Note if you add a bead you should also change the hook to a 2x long hook to compinsate for the bead. That way the fly will be proportioned corectly. You can use the same hook but the fly will be a little subbyer.
 - Try different colors. A Chartreuse Tail also works good.


I will put a link to a step by step pdf when I get it done.
You can email me if you are waiting for one and want me to send it direct to you.
I have Laughing Trout party on Friday and am heading to Rivers falls for some free food at Lunds Fly Shop on Saturday. Hopefully I can get some time on Sunday to do the PDF.
Email Scott at flytierscott@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a public blog. Please be respectful in your comments. Thanks