Sunday, December 1, 2019

Guess that Vise #4

Hello Happy Fly Chuckers!

I started at new game on face book. If you follow me on Facebook please check it out.
The Game is "Guess that Vise?". I posted a silhouette shadow picture of a vise and you have to guess what it is. There are extra points for guessing some of the added features. I am posting the real pictures and info about the vise here.

The fourth vise is described here. The vise is a Thompson Model "C". I have not been able to find the start of this vise (I know it is at least 1937) and the latest I have seen it sold was 1976. This is a great vise and one of my favorite Thompson vises to use. It is a better vise for larger hooks because of the straight angle of the shaft. It will hold a small hook but it is difficult to get at it. Thompson's first vise was the "A" and is still the baseline of vises today. The "C" was a less expensive and smaller model than the "B". This one I have is still made from cast iron, later versions where switched to aluminum casting. The jaws have a couple different styles or curves to it over the years. The cast vises where in general cheaper to manufacture then the model "A" which had more machined parts. While most of Thompson's vises where heavily copied, I have yet to find any other vise like this one. Every pretty much stayed with the angled head. One of my favorite features of this vise is you can hold any size hook without any adjustment, just screw the knob a little more.
The bobbin holder shown is the Thompson "Jiffy Bobbin" 4" (Thompson also made a 2-1/2" long version but sadly I do not have one of those in my collection). You can read the text on this bobbin but it seems well designed and easy to use.  
For all those that guessed correctly, Congratulations!


























No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a public blog. Please be respectful in your comments. Thanks