Monday, November 25, 2019

Guess that Vise #3

Hello Happy Fly Chuckers!

I started at new game on face book. If you follow me on Facebook please check it out.
The Game is "Guess that Vice?". I posted a silhouette shadow picture of a vise and you have to guess what it is. There are extra points for guessing some of the added features. I am posting the real pictures and info about the vise here.

The third vice is described here. The vice is a Veniard vice from across the pond. Unfortunately I don't have as much information about this vice as I should have. It was a very popular vice for them. There is a catch with this vice. When I got my first one I looked up the information that I could find on it. and like all the vices I have I like to make tags for them. So if you look at the name on the taf the vices name is Majestic 1A. But in trying to find out more information about it, I find it mainly with a different name "Northwoods". I have been unable to find the Majestic name and only been able to find the Northwoods name. Maybe I was delusional:-)  So I am asking for my fans to look through their old Veniard catalogs and send me pictures. Hopefully someone can find a picture in a catalog with the Majestic name for me. 
Even though this vice was very popular and in their catalogs for many years, but I'm not a big fan of using it for tying lots of flies at one time. I find it hard on the hand to tighten it up to the point where the fly is totally secure. it takes a lot of grip strength. Veniard had the rubber buttons attached to the base so you could lock the tread in and keep it taught between materials. It is great that it is there but I find it a little far back to be real useful. There seemed to be different bends in the shanks that I have seen on the net. Maybe that has something also to do with the names. I also think that maybe people would bend them to fit their needs and tying styles. The first one I got is in real bad shape with rust, pitting, and the plating flaking off. I found another one on Ebay but the seller could not ship to the US form the UK. SO I messenger-ed my friend Christopher Reeves and he was willing to get it for me and bring it over for me to pick up at Sowbug, but he couldn't make it. Long story short, this vice has been on the journey of a lifetime and I will be indebted to Christopher for a long time LOL. (It is a fun story if anybody ever wants to here it LOL. Back to the vice. Veniard did make a couple other versions (remember that for later). And they had a couple added components that you could get for it. It also could be used for Right Handed or Left Handed tyers with out any change over.
If you look at the jaws of the two that I have you will see that they are both a little different. One is a little more pointy and one a little more rounded. The first one I got is older. It had the original thumb screw on the bottom. The newer models went to the plastic/Bakelite knobs.
Did anyone notice the Bobbin Holder. this is a little simple one. it looks to be designed to hold small spools of thread. It may be able to be bent to accept a larger spool. Not the best craftsmanship on it. Lots of burrs and sharp edges that would easily cut the thread or silk. And if it didn't cut it it would certainly rough it up and make it icky. I was able to use a countersink and my Dremel tool to get it so it would work. It is a nice collection piece though.  Vintage thread spool also!
For all those that guessed correctly, Congratulations!



















No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a public blog. Please be respectful in your comments. Thanks