Sunday, November 17, 2019

Guess that Vise #2

Hello Happy Fly Chuckers!

I started at new game on face book. If you follow me on Facebook please check it out.
The Game is "Guess that Vise?". I posted a silhouette shadow picture of a vise and you have to guess what it is. There are extra points for guessing some of the added features. I am posting the real pictures and info about the vise here.

The second vise is described here. The vise is a Tack-L-Tyers 1954 model "V". This one is more rare because it still had the steel tightening wheel instead of the more common Bakelite or plastic wheel version. This vise was sold alone or in a kit. With some of the Tack-L-Tyers kits you had your choice of vises. Most people associate the Tack-LTyer kits with the little pressed metal vise with the locking thumb screw. These full version vises where well made and a nice vice. (They also made a "F" and "T" that I am in search of hint,hint). It holds the hook well. The clamp opening was average for that era.  It does fit most single lip tables. This ones was in bad shape when I got it. I did my best on it but you can still see a lot of the pitting caused by the rust. I didn't want to get to aggressive with it. 1954-55 this vise alone sold for $3.50. I have not got my hands on a copy of a Tack-L-Tyers catalog from the 50's but I did find one a long time ago on the web that I took some screen shots of (so please don't yell at me or call the web police LOL). If anyone has any old catalogs from the 60's or earlier I would love to see them. I do have a 1937 Tack-L-Tyer Catalog but unfortunately at that time they did not have their own brand of vises. They originally where selling Thompson vises. Tack-L-Tyers was from Evanston, Illinois. 
For all those that guessed correctly, Congratulations!









No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a public blog. Please be respectful in your comments. Thanks